EDL claims ‘many more Irish members’

By on June 10, 2013
Stephen Lennon at a recent EDL march towards Downing Street

Stephen Lennon at a recent EDL march in London

A LARGE number of those who have joined the EDL are second generation Irish, the controversial far-right group has claimed.

English Defence League leader Stephen Lennon, who we revealed is the son of a Dublin woman, says they have no problem with the Irish in Britain “as long as they have integrated”.

He also claimed that a large number of those who joined the EDL when it was set up in Luton in 2009 were second generation Irish.

And he added that the EDL would only target Irish community groups in Britain if they used “IRA slogans” or sang “IRA songs”.

Speaking to The Irish Post, Lennon, who leads the unpopular far-right group under the pseudonym Tommy Robinson, said he feels “no connection” to Ireland.

He added that he has never set foot in the country despite it being his mother’s birthplace and the home of most of her family.

“My mum is Irish and all of her family are Irish. I do not hate the Irish, but I am not Irish. I take pride in England, the country that is my home. I do not feel any connection to Ireland at all. I have never even been there,” he said.

The EDL leader defended anti-Irish comments he posted on Twitter saying that if his mother, who was born in Dublin, had not come to England, she would be “in Ireland picking potatoes and eating cabbage”.

“Part of Irish heritage is being able to have a laugh, hence my mum picking potatoes and boiling cabbage,” he said.

Two weeks ago more than 1,000 EDL supporters took to the streets of London under tight police security to protest following the killing in Woolwich of Drummer Lee Rigby.

A total of 13 arrests were made for offences ranging from racially aggravated criminal damage to violent disorder as far-right and anti-fascist protesters clashed.

However fears that tensions would spill into last month’s Ireland v England game were unfounded.

Lennon defended comments he tweeted to his then-6,000 followers about taking on “plastic paddies” by bringing a “tidy mob” to the friendly international.

The 30-year-old claimed it was “banter” with a friend and said he was not even at the football match. “It was just me having a bit of banter with my friend, who is Irish and English,” he said.

“In hindsight I might be a bit more careful in how a lot of people are watching and the way it could be taken.”

“But I will always shout No Surrender during the national anthem,” Lennon added, saying he would have defied pleas to fans from the FA and England manager Roy Hodgson not to sing the anti-Catholic hate song despite being a Catholic himself

“I am not politically correct and I do not care about political correctness,” he said. “It (No Surrender) is part of the English history. It is the most famous motto in this country. And it is the motto we live by and die by.

“When I sing No Surrender I am thinking of no surrender to the Taliban. I am thinking of no surrender to militant Islam. And when we were at war with the IRA I would have been singing ‘No Surrender to the IRA’. There is no Irish person I know who would be offended if I sing No Surrender during the national anthem.”

Niall O Sullivan

About Niall O Sullivan

Niall O’Sullivan is a reporter at The Irish Post. You can follow him on @Niall_IrishPost on Twitter

1. Tom Conniffe

June 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm

What a scumbag. Why do you give him the oxygen of publicity? He and his ilk cast shame on our community.

2. Willie

June 11, 2013 at 5:21 pm

England are welcome to this DODO just an Uncle Tom and probably as thick as two short planks.I must say his mother has not had much influence in this idiot.I would love to see his school reports.

3. Willie

June 16, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Just logged into site and I see Mutton head is still there.

4. Marc Floyd

June 23, 2013 at 2:38 am

Robinson has much support in Northern Ireland. His ideas appear to at least have some support throughout various parts of the South as well. The whole situation is going to end in even more tensions between indigenous British and immigrant communities and our interventionist foreign policy in the Mideast only heightens these tensions. The E.D.L, U.K.I.P and B.N.P all say this publically, while the Cultural left refuses to have a serious discussion about any of these issues, supporting immigration to tilt the electoral system in their favour (such as MEP Shirley Porter who was convicted for this and fled to israel!) – as well as for fear of being called a racist, despite the fact that we as a Country are in national decline and cant even provide opportunities for our own people and so many immigrants inevitably end up reliant on state benefits. Britains future itself is uncertain and the liberal intelligentsia just aren’t affected by any of this, theit communities dont see the effects of immigration, every day they tell us to “celebrate diversity” and push us every step of the way to support the “far right groups ” – they’re so caught up with “european integration” /”Multiculturalism”, aggressive warin the Mideast/Africa that dont concern Britain – the political classes’ perception of britain is now so divorced from the reality on the ground that its difficult to imagine anything else but further economic pain, political weakening through the E.U as well as further social strife between indigenous british and immigrant communities. Thank you Tony Blair, New Labour and a big shout out to all the leftists in the “conservative” party that have continued with all of this! Eastward we march to brussels, whatever is even left of us after continued immigration, spiralling breakdown of law and order as well as possibly with Independent provinces like Scotland or Wales! Bravo!!

• Brian

June 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm

@Marc Floyd,

Given the attitude you’ve show here, if you had been born in Germany in 1920 you’d have made a perfect candidate for KZ guard in Auschwitz.

I hope you’re proud of your idiotic paranoia and xenophobic racism.

5. Marc Floyd

July 26, 2013 at 4:35 am

@Brian
    No argument, nothing but abuse. Until I get an actual argument, from you laborites who call anyone who speaks up about the effects of immigration on their communities – I and many thousands more will continue to support the E.D.L
    Thanks for reminding me why I’m a member.

6. jim

August 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

What we need to stand against is the politically correct who slander, demonise people who have different views. The sort of people who will jump to call people racists or bigots or homophobic. The sort of people who seek to be offended.

Who cares if someone is offended, just because someone feels offended it does not mean you should not be allowed to say what you want. It does not mean what you are saying is wrong.

7. Pingback: Loyalists And The Far Right. - Page 12

8. Alfie

December 13, 2013 at 7:56 pm

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.

I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some
    interesting things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read more things about it!