Irish restaurant bans ‘loud Americans’

By on July 21, 2014
The sign which appeared on the door of Peter's Place

The sign which appeared on the door of Peter’s Place

A RESTAURANT in Co Kerry has provoked outrage after banning ‘loud Americans’ from the premises.

Waterville café, Peters Place, displayed the offensive sign on the door of their premises which read, “No Bus/Coach tours or loud Americans. Thank you.”

The move provoked angry responses from locals and tourists who have taken to social media to express their outrage.

The majority of local business owners in Waterville, which is on the Ring of Kerry, welcome the busy tourist season.

Waterville relies heavily on tourism, with over 1.1m people visiting the South West in 2012, according to Fáilte Ireland.

Irish Post

About Irish Post

The Irish Post is the biggest-selling weekly newspaper for the Irish in Britain and the voice of the Irish community since 1970. Follow the Irish Post on Twitter @theirishpost

1. Mike

July 21, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I must say this sign is wrong but Americans I have experienced have been a pain.
    I work in a small B&B in Dublin I am the only Irish person there and find them intolerable and stupid the questions they ask.
    They fly thousands of miles and pay 70Eur and expect 5 star service.
    I personally find them mean.
    Before I worked there I had the utmost respect for them but now I hate dealing with them and I know how this Cafe feels.
    I must stress alL the employees here feel the same as I do here.
    The Europeans and Japanese are generally polite and respectful.

2. Sam

July 21, 2014 at 5:19 pm

As a quiet American, I can’t say as I blame them. I have a hard time tolerating the loud of us here at home.

3. Don Martin

July 21, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I could wish that more of the restaurants here in the States would ban loud Americans, particularly the ones with cell phones. Should I get to Kerry, I hope to raise a quiet glass in this pub.

4. Eric

July 21, 2014 at 5:26 pm

As an American, I find this sign to be welcoming. There are more than enough loud Americans here in the states, and I’d rather not have to deal with them while vacationing overseas as well.

5. R. Thomas

July 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

As a non-loud American, I don’t have an issue with this.

6. Layton

July 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm

This American thinks the most offensive part of that sign is the poor grammar it exudes.

7. John Stephens

July 21, 2014 at 6:01 pm

My condolences to the long-suffering cafe owner, and anyone else who has to deal with tourists both American and otherwise. My home State of Florida depends on tourism for a major portion of it’s economy, and if it weren’t for the money they spend there’d be a bounty on them.

8. Joan Swizzle-Manfred

July 21, 2014 at 6:19 pm

What if we promise to whisper?

9. Bryan

July 21, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Why the outrage? If they do not want the business, then let them not have the business.

10. Keith

July 21, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I do not blame them at all, any time you go out to a bar, inn or restaurant the noise is absolutely unbearably loud. You cannot have a quiet meal or night without the masses trying to outshout each other. I refuse to go places I have to shout in order to be heard. If you want a rowdy party have it at your home!!

11. JDG

July 21, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I’m an American and I don’t want to eat in a restaurant full of loud Americans. A pub is different, but I can see their point.

12. JN

July 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm

As a quiet American, I’m not offended at all. I certainly would be annoyed to have flown across the Atlantic, only to have my experience ruined by loud people of any nationality.

13. Bobby

July 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm

This is the equivalent to saying “No drunken Irish allowed in this establishment.”

14. Earl

July 21, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Does “or Loud Americans” mean all of us are banned from the get go? Or are we to be granted entry on
    probationary status on the odd chance we can demonstrate proper Irish somber reflection?
    While I have never been to Ireland I always figured you folks were open, fun loving and welcoming.
    Admittedly this impression comes from spending a week in Boston where I saw a bar filled with
    Irish expat constructions workers (none of whom, I was told, here legally) quietly smashing each other
    with pool cues while knocking back endless shots of cheap hooch.
    I have never had any thing against the Irish or Ireland. But, I also don’t understand my countrymen’s
    love affair with them either. As for banning us from your restaurants, well most of the world hates us
    (and not entirely for no reason). So, why should Ireland be any different. My wife wants to go to
    France and Sweden in October. Since we travel to Europe only about every 5 or 6 years, I was hoping
    to include a couple days in perhaps England or, admittedly less likely, Ireland.

• Garth

July 24, 2014 at 4:35 am

I’ve been to Ireland twice (though no ancestry that I’m aware of). It is first in friendliness, extraordinarily cool pub atmosphere (England too!)
      I will be back, and will give that economy as much as I possibly can! I have NEVER in my life been treated better by a host country. We could not have been catered to or accommodated more! We went from Waterford all the way up north of Belfast to the Sea Coast highway and back down to Dublin for our flight out. What an extraordinary people and country! Beautiful! Could not have asked for more! As for loud Americans or any other nationality engaging in inappropriate behavior contextually speaking, I don’t like it either! Ireland, her people, won us over the first time and I couldn’t wait to get back for seconds! Could not have been more pleased! Planning on going back for as many more trips as possible!!!

15. Alan Green

July 22, 2014 at 2:25 am

Pog mahone Peter’s Place!

I will spend my tourist dollars elsewhere…

16. KGB

July 22, 2014 at 6:12 am

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Americans fail to understand not everyone wants to have to listen to them.

17. Ugly American

July 22, 2014 at 10:43 am

Seems reasonable to me.

Not every place in the world needs to be over run with tourists.

Maybe they could make it a private club.

18. Pingback: Irish cafe sparks outrage by banning ‘loud Americans’ from entering premises  | New York news

19. ultan cowley

July 23, 2014 at 9:43 am

The owners are within their rights to protect their better-behaved customers from loud and vexatious others; identifying these by race or nationality however could be deemed offensive. Bear in mind that many visitors are not American.

20. Pingback: “Loud Americans” need not apply at this Irish restaurant | Rare

21. Shaun

July 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm

I’d be happy if they stopped thinking that they are Irish, if I here “it’s great to be in the land of poets and philosophers” one more time I may start swinging.