Obituary: Celtic Thunder singer George Donaldson (1968 – 2014)

By on April 1, 2014
George Donaldson

George Donaldson

IT was with much sadness that the Irish community of Glasgow packed into St. Paul’s Church, Shettleston on Friday 21 March to say their farewells to George Donaldson, who died suddenly of a heart attack on March 12.

One of nine children, the East End raised musician started his singing career in local pubs and clubs and had been the resident singer in Jinty McGuinty’s for the last 20 years.

His talent and voice, with a warmth and brogue for ballad singing, saw George travel throughout Scotland and the islands bringing his songs to the people.

His interaction with his audience whilst playing was renowned, stemming from his great love and fondness for “real people”.

In 2007 he became one of the original members, and only Scotsman, of Celtic Thunder, completing several tours of North America to packed concert halls.  George recently completed his first solo album and was preparing for Celtic Thunder’s forthcoming Australian tour.

George was a family man and is survived by his wife Carolyn and 13 year old daughter Sarah.

He had referred to his family as the “light of my life” and could often be found on Twitter, tweeting about Carolyn and Sarah and how he missed them during tours with Celtic Thunder. His last tweet was about a night in, watching Harry Potter with Sarah.

Over the past four years Sarah has been attending St. Roch’s evening sessions to practise traditional Irish music with the Glasgow Irish Minstrels, a branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann and the parent organisation for the St Roch’s Céilí Band.

George was delighted that Sarah was playing with St Roch’s and enjoyed jamming with his girl when he was home from his travels. He was delighted that she had such a great platform as St Roch’s and he knew she loved playing.

Lyn Crumlish, PRO St Roch’s, said: “Unfortunately we didn’t see too much of George because of his musical commitments across the water, however, when he was around he would play at our concerts and family ceilidhs.

“He was just a very ordinary, friendly guy who would chat to everyone and took a real interest in how all the kids were progressing.”

George accompanied Sarah and Carolyn to the All Ireland Fleadh in Derry city last summer and he jammed the night away with all the St Roch’s mums, dads and kids into the wee small hours.

Lyn commented: “Such was his down to earth character that he would never boast of his success within the music scene. In fact one of the parents commented to him that he should seriously think of taking up singing as a career.

“I would like to think that George can rest well in the knowledge that Sarah has been left in great musical hands and I know she will continue to do her wonderful Dad very proud.”

Glasgow City Councillor Feargal Dalton said: “When I first moved to Glasgow 20 years ago George had just started out as the resident singer in Jinty’s.  Like many new and old Irish in the city, Wednesday and Sunday nights became ‘Big George at Jinty’s’ nights.  He was part of how I settled in my new home town.

“We were all delighted to see George’s increasing success with Celtic Thunder.  But following his most recent tour he was up at St Roch’s on Tuesday nights letting us all know that he was back in Jinty’s on Sundays.  I got down to see him in Jinty’s recently, not realising it would be the last time.

“Despite singing to large crowds around the world he loved being back in his natural setting in the corner of Jinty’s enjoying the craic with the locals.  While we will always remember his music, those of us privileged to have known George know that, above all else, he was a family man and his greatest love and pride were reserved for Carolyn and Sarah.”

Irish Post

About Irish Post

The Irish Post is the biggest-selling weekly newspaper for the Irish in Britain and the voice of the Irish community since 1970. Follow the Irish Post on Twitter @theirishpost

1. dotty wooley

April 1, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Dearest carolyn anb Sarah, it’s with an extremely sad heart that I write to you! I always looked for you in the audience with the boys were preforming….I loved George and thought he was such a great entertainer! His life was cut way too short, he still had so many things to do! I am completely lost and devastated that such a thing could happen.LOVE

2. Lori Mabry

April 2, 2014 at 12:44 am

I just wanted say I am saddened to hear about George Donaldson’S Death. I wanted Carolyn and Sarah to know I am praying for them during this time. Sarah, I know how you feeling right know. I lost my dad when I was 13 also. I am 51 years old. Just take one day at a time, things will get better soon. Love , Lori

3. Niall Gordon

April 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm

My wife and I used to see Celtic Thunder on Irish TV’s showcase – they were something special, and hopefully can still be. RIP.

4. Steve Coller

April 3, 2014 at 5:56 pm

George was my favorite member of Celtic Thunder. He will be sorely missed by millions around the world.

We are all much rich for George with us. There is a hole on earth do to his passing. But he is singing with the angels now and that is a blessing to Heaven.

5. John & Leesa Belcher

April 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm

We were able to see 3 Celtic Thunder Concerts here in Clearwater and Sarasota Florida. George had a fantastic presents! We could see he was REAL. Doing what he loved and loved the guys he was with. The good Lord called him home and he will be missed I am sure by millions of fans. Our thoughts and Prayers go out to Carolyn and Sarah who lost the most. Leesa Belcher

6. Brenda Thomas

April 6, 2014 at 3:54 am

I got to know Celtic Thunder through PBS in America. I love them all and thank them for the joy they bring, especially George. My prayers be with his wife and daughter. God be with you.

Brenda

7. PAUL HAMSON

May 23, 2014 at 2:09 am

I am a CELTIC THUNDER fan since there initial performance THE SHOW ,I am attending there performance in Brisbane tonight 23rd May, It will not be the same with out George and Damian however the show will go on. My deep heart felt sorrow to Carolyn, Sarah and the crew of CELTIC THUNDER, my prayers are with you all, during this very sad time. The song George sang THE OLD MAN will be a memory in my heart for ever as a token of his tallents.May he rest in peace, GOD bless you all. Paul Hamson.Brisbane Australia.

• COUNT. ALEXEI SONDERBURG

May 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Beautiful Paul , you & I shall miss “GEORGE THE GREAT” so very much, he held a special place within both our hearts, minds and souls and George will forever live on and you and I shall forever feel his presence when we hear those songs that have special meanings to you and I . I adored what you wrote and I felt it was from the deepest part of the soul I know and love. Your prince. Alexei. xx <3

8. HSH COUNT ALEXEI OF MONPEZAT , EARL OF WOODCHESTER.

May 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm

With deepest sympathy from myself and my family. Words cannot express the hurt you must be feeling & the fans like myself feel the hurt deeply too. Here is a couple of poems to bring comfort to all who knew ” GEORGE THE GREAT!!” Rest in peace and sing loud and beautiful now in the angels choir dear George. God called you home to fill Heaven with amazing song and love. Never to be forgotten. Where I have gone
    I am not so small.
    My soul is as wide
    As the world is tall.
    I have gone to answer
    This call, the call
    Of the one who takes
    Care of us all.
    Wherever you look,
    You will find me there,
    In the heart of a rose,
    In the heart of a prayer.
    On butterflies’ wings,
    On wings of my own,
    To you, I’m gone,
    But I’ never alone.
    I’m over the moon
    I am home.
    Near a shady wall a rose once grew,
    Budded and blossomed in God’s free light,
    Watered and fed by the morning dew,
    Shedding it’s sweetness day and night.

As it grew and blossomed fair and tall,
    Slowly rising to loftier height,
    It came to a crevice in the wall
    Through which there shone a beam of light.

Onward it crept with added strength
    With never a thought of fear or pride,
    It followed the light through the crevice’s length
    And unfolded itself on the other side.

The light, the dew, the broadening view
    Were found the same as they were before,
    And it lost itself in beauties new,
    Breathing it’s fragrance more and more.

Shall claim of death cause us to grieve
    And make our courage faint and fall?
    Nay! Let us faith and hope receive–
    The rose still grows beyond the wall,

Scattering fragrance far and wide
    Just as it did in days of yore,
    Just as it did on the other side,
    Just as it will forever-more.

With love and peace, from His Serene. Highness Alexei, Count of MONPEZAT & Earl of WOODCHESTER .

9. HSH COUNT ALEXEI OF MONPEZAT , EARL OF WOODCHESTER.

May 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm

The Rose Beyond The Wall

A rose once grew where all could see,
    sheltered beside a garden wall,
    And as the days passed swiftly by,
    it spread its branches, straight and tall…

One day, a beam of light shone through
    a crevice that had opened wide
    The rose bent gently toward its warmth
    then passed beyond to the other side

Now, you who deeply feel its loss,
    be comforted – the rose blooms there-
    its beauty even greater now, nurtured by
    God’s own loving care.

10. HSH COUNT ALEXEI OF MONPEZAT , EARL OF WOODCHESTER.

May 23, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Don’t think of him as gone away
    his journey’s just begun,
    life holds so many facets
    this earth is only one.

Just think of him as resting
    from the sorrows and the tears
    in a place of warmth and comfort
    where there are no days and years.

Think how he must be wishing
    that we could know today
    how nothing but our sadness
    can really pass away.

And think of him as living
    in the hearts of those he touched…
    for nothing loved is ever lost
    and he was loved so much.

11. COUNT ALEXEI SONDERBURG

May 23, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Final Flight
    Don’t grieve for me, for now I’m free,
    I’m following the path God laid for me.
    I took his hand, when I heard his call,
    I followed him and left it all
    I could not stay another day,
    To laugh, to love, to work, to play.
    Tasks left undone must stay that way,
    I’ve found that peace at the end of the day.
    If my parting has left a void,
    Then fill it with remembered joy.
    A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
    Ah, yes, these things too I will miss.
    Be not burdened with times of sorrow,
    I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
    My Life’s been full, I savored much,
    Good friends, good times, a loved one’ touch.
    Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
    Don’t lengthen it now with undue grief.
    Lift up your heart and share with me,
    God wanted me now, He set me free.
    As you release the butterfly, let me go,
    There is something better, God wants us to know,
    As the butterfly flutters with peaceful delight,
    It represents my heavenly, final flight.

12. ALEXEI SONDERBURG-GLUCKSBURG

May 23, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Rest in peace “GEORGE THE GREAT” you are love and we shall miss you so much from Alex & Paul XX

13. Jean

June 9, 2014 at 1:04 am

I was just watching PBS on American T.V. and was so saddened by the news of your husband and father George,,my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

14. Roxanne Mealer

June 9, 2014 at 4:38 am

I was so shocked to see that George has passed. I’ve watched him on PBS in the States and always loved his songs and voice. It was easy to see his sense of humor and joy in singing.

I too wish the best for his family. All of his fans recognize how special you were to him.

Roxanne

15. Marian Kremer

June 11, 2014 at 10:13 pm

I’m sorry to hear of the passing of George. I’m glad that he was home and had time to spend with his family before his death. May God bless you both and all those who loved him.

16. susan

June 22, 2014 at 4:15 am

I was watching Celtic Thunder on PBS in America amd was shocked and saddened to hear of Georges passing. May God keep you in the palm of his hand. Thank you to his family for sharing him he will be greatly missed.:(

17. Terri

September 11, 2014 at 11:26 pm

What a beautiful voice and bright smile he had. We are so lucky he shared his talent and a bit of himself with the world.

18. Rachel

October 21, 2014 at 2:47 am

One night, here alone, I came upon PBS, and Celtic Thunder was on. I had only seen it once before, and did not know of its fame. But, I loved George from his first note. I loved his eyes, and thought he must be
    a good and honorable man. Many of the lyrics he sang seemed to settle into those eyes of his. I envied those
    he must have loved, to be loved by this good man.
    I am old enough that George could have been my son. I am sure he was a blessing to his Mum, and to his dear wife and daughter. My deepest sympathy to those of you who loved him so.

19. Teri

November 19, 2014 at 1:24 am

Celtic Thunder what a wonder. I have treasured their music since the beginning. My favorites, George and Damian, George was such a pleasure be it his sweet voice, his wonderful smile or playful way. Celtic Thunder will never be the same. My heart goes out to his wife and daughter.